For whatever reason, I became recently obsessed with purchasing a tart pan. Perhaps the obsession was born after I made a chocolate tart in a normal cake round and the lackluster straight edges made me sad. Who knows. Anyway, it was decidedly easy to make the purchase. $10 + 5 hours later (thanks to Amazon Prime same-day shipping), I had my tart pan. Yes, I get that I’m an impulse buyer and I should probably exercise more care in purchases, but what’s done is done! Now the big question was what to do now that the tart pan was in my possession?
Ideas were brewing. Another chocolate tart? Nah, too soon. Fruit tart? Hm… perhaps, but maybe I’ve been overdoing it on the dessert front. More thought. Oh, ding-ding-ding: Quiche!
My childhood memory of quiche has always been those of mini frozen Costco variety that was served as an hors d’oeuvre at fancy gatherings. Tasty, but not exactly the healthiest.
With my currently injured ankle and my transitively not-so-active lifestyle, I was absolutely determined to find a figure-friendly recipe that didn’t sacrifice taste. I’ve always liked myself a good egg white omelet, and a bit of googling brought me to sally’s baking addiction‘s crustless, egg white-rich quiche recipe which looked delicious but was missing a key quiche feature I couldn’t sacrifice: CRUST!
The tender, flaky, pastry crust of traditional quiche has got to be the dish’s highlight for any carboholic such as myself. Unfortunately, crust isn’t exactly the most nutritious part of the quiche either. I remembered hearing about the “cauliflower pizza crust” that had become all the rage in recent years and I thought… if it works for pizza, maybe it’ll work for quiche!
And that’s how this flourless quiche packed with colorful veggies came to be. Wow was it delicious! No cream, no butter, no flour… Packed with vegetables through and through, with its natural flavors brought to life through a quick saute, and then lightly smothered (two words I wouldn’t normally put together) with freshly grated cheddar and parmesan cheeses. Yes, please! What’s better is that I had no qualms with helping myself to a second serving of this delicious bad boy.
- 1 med cauliflower
- 1/2 c parmesan, freshly grated
- 1 egg, large
- 1/2 tsp oregano (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
- pinch garlic powder (to taste)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced and halved
- 1/2 large bell pepper
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 small head broccoli, florets
- 4-5 cello mushrooms, sliced
- 3 eggs, large (3 yolk, 3 whites)
- 3 egg whites, large (+3 whites --> 6 whites total)
- 3/4 c skim milk
- 1 c cheddar, freshly shredded or grated
- 2 tsp parmesan, freshly grated
- Chop cauliflower into small florets. Pulse in food processor until grain-like, should yield 3-4 c.
- Microwave cauliflower grains for 5 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then use a cheesecloth to wring out excess water. This step is crucial as excess water will create a mushy crust, and we don't want any of that!
- Combine dry cauliflower grains with grated parmesan, egg, and seasoning until well mixed. Press crust mixture into tart pan and push up the sides about 1-inch all the way around. Try to maintain consistent thickness throughout to ensure that the crust bakes evenly.
- Bake for 12-17 minutes at 425 F or until golden brown throughout.
- While crust is baking, saute quiche veggies in a pan until softened. Whisk together 3 eggs + 3 egg whites (that's a total of 3 yolk, 6 whites) with skim milk.
- Fill prepared crust with sauteed veggies. Cover with shredded cheddar cheese. Pour egg mixture to fill quiche. Sprinkle grated parmesan over top.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 F. Quiche should be set and eggs thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from tart pan, cut into 6 slices. Serve and enjoy!
Do you have any recipe favorites that you’ve “healthified”? Thanks for dropping by; I’d love to hear from you so feel free to drop me a line :)
PS: If you haven’t already, find and follow me on bloglovin’! bloglovin’ is a great way to get a consolidated “smart feed” of all the blogs you know and love, and it’s also an outlet for finding new ones to enjoy!