If I patron a restaurant where shaved sprouts salad is an option on the menu, there’s a solid eighty percent chance that I will order it. It’s just that good!
Brussels sprouts have become a recent favorite of mine (I’d never eaten them as a child), whether in shaved or oven-roasted form. It’s like a miniature cabbage, and miniature things are always so much cuter than their full sized counterparts, wouldn’t you say so?
Shaved sprouts certainly brings out a different taste and texture than oven-roasted sprouts. It’s raw, so thin shavings yield a crunchy, slaw-like resemblance which makes for a rather refreshing and unique salad base.
This simple salad is delightfully flavorful, and a play on the Ceasar salad—which happens to be one of my favorite classic salads. Thinly shaved Brussels sprouts (can be done using a mandolin slicer or by hand using a sharp knife) are tossed with a homemade healthy avocado dressing (click for recipe), and topped with a generous portion of shaved Parmesan cheese (I used my trusty vegetable peeler), roasted chopped almonds, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. I even threw in a few roasted sprouts for a “two-ways” dish! It’s a beautiful and delicious dish perfect for the summer!
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, shaved
- 1/4 cup avocado dressing (recipe in link above)
- 2-3 tbs roasted almonds, chopped
- 3 tbs Parmesan cheese, shaved
- salt and pepper, for garnish
- Wash and shave brussels sprouts. This can be done with a mandolin slicer, or with a sharp knife.
- Toss shaved sprouts with avocado dressing and almonds.
- Plate tossed salad and sprinkle shaved Parmesan cheese on top. I used a regular veggie peeler to create beautiful Parmesan ribbons!
- Optionally, drizzle olive oil over the top of the salad.
- Garnish with freshly ground salt and pepper, and enjoy!
- Other fun add ins include: bacon, croutons, walnuts, sliced apples, craisins